Friday 17 June 2011

June 16, 2011 St. Chapelle, Pompidou, & The Louvre

Saint Chapelle

Stained glass and ceiling detail of St. Chapelle.

The Centre Pompidou

My lunch after touring the Pompidou.

The view of Paris from the top floor of the Pompidou.

The Louvre

More of the Louvre. 
Today involved visiting three hot spots in the city of Paris. The first was Sainte Chapelle. This chapel was built during the thirteenth century and has a gothic style of architecture. The chapel is most know for its huge expanses of stained glass. After a little research, I found that there is 6458 square feet of stained glass. Next, we continued onward to the Pompidou. I loved this museum and enjoyed seeing the modern art and exhibits inside. The exterior is also a fun sight to see. I never fully understood what the structures on the outside were, but now after being inside I understand. The outside has a zig zaging pattern of structures. These represent the escalators that take you from floor to floor. The Pompidou was designed by Renzo Piano from Italy and Richard Rogers from England. It contrasts highly with the older style of architecture of Paris that surrounds the building. After having a baguette with some cheese and veggies on it, we all made our way to the famous Louvre. The Louvre is currently the French's national museum. It was once the royal palace to the Sun King or Louis XIV.  It is so big that it is impossible to truly admire everything inside. I got to see some of the must sees including: Da Vinci's Mona Lisa, the David, and Venus de Milo. The Mona Lisa was in a room that was crowded with so many people. I felt like a football player charging for the touchdown but in my case a glimpse of the famous painting. Eventually, I was able to make it to the front and see the mysterious women. I had always imagined it being a lot bigger, so seeing it in person made me realize how small it really was. This day was amazing, tiring, and made my feet hurt. But once again completely worth it and I am so lucky and fortunate to have seen the things that I saw today!

No comments:

Post a Comment