Thursday 2 June 2011

June 2, 2011

Add caption








Today was all about museums and exploring London. We had the great opportunity to view Sir John Soane's Museum and the British Museum. We separated into two groups and went to Sir John Soane's Museum. The house was incredible and was covered with all sorts of treasures. One of the workers in the house said that the man knew how to shop and knew how to shop for a bargain. He would find many valuable things, and sometimes not even realize the worth of them.  The worker informed us, "That when you like something, then you should buy it." I agree with him! (Except when I check my account online after today's purchases). Some treasures in the house that I enjoyed were an exhibition of carved wooden cathedrals, a huge sarcophagus brought in by taking down the back wall of the house, a room full of paintings (this room had walls that would open and close to allow other pieces of artwork to hang). It reminded me of an antique shop that was filled to its brim and made me nervous to move to quickly. The man knew how to shop and he surrounded himself with great relics of the past.  After seeing this house, we went to the British Museum of Art. The exterior is very grand and is a taster of what is to come when you enter. I saw the Standard of Ur which I remembered from my early Art History class. It was exciting to see the actual piece instead of just a picture on paper. It was smaller than I thought it would be but still very fascinating to examine. We looked around for awhile and then were off to the streets of London. We went to Portabello Market and had fun seeing the different shops and tourist attractions. I got two really cute scarfs and a fun necklace for 18 pounds. No more spending for me in London! I need to have money for the other countries too. Time is going by so quickly now and I want it to slow down.  Tomorrow we will be going to Bath... looking forward to it and a good nights rest. oh and p.s. I had the most delicious red velvet cupcake today and had italian for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment